Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
Puzzelteile in verschiedenen Farben

Information for people without German citizenship

Domestic violence is always wrong and must not be excused as culturally determined.


Right of residence

If a foreign woman without a secure right of residence wants to prevent her deportation, advice from a legal advisor is essential.

Women's shelters and advice centers know such specialists in residence law.

Residence Act

According to § 31 of the Residence Act, women are granted a right of residence independent of their husband after two years of cohabitation.
In the case of separation due to exceptional hardship (sexual abuse in the family, serious bodily harm by the husband) even earlier.

Migrant women who have acquired legal residence status through marriage often fear that this status may be jeopardized by divorce.

The following institution can provide you with professional advice on this:

Refugio Münster - Psychosocial Refugee Aid
Hafenstraße 3-5
48153 Münster
Telephone: 0251-1 44 86 31
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Further information can be found on the homepage:

Medical treatment

If the effects of the violence are so severe that you need medical help, but you do not have health insurance cover, you can get help at this facility:

Medical consultation hours for people without health insurance and without valid residence status

Malteser Hilfsdienst e.V.,
Münster diocesan office,
Daimlerweg 33,
48163 Münster,
Tel.: 0251/971210
(Mon - Fri 9:00-16:00)